Pregnancy and Newborn Baby Specialist, Active Birth Antenatal Teacher and Holistic Therapist
As a mother of 4 children aged 8 – 19 years, I am very aware of the busy life of parents and the very real pressures of being a parent. My career as a Pregnancy and Newborn Baby Specialist is embedded in the FACT – I love working with babies and young families. I feel passionate about child development from the womb to entry into this world and during the first 1,000 days of life. During the 9 months of pregnancy a baby knows so much about the world they are being born into. Tuning into your baby in the womb prior to birth is special and so powerful! The ever-changing understanding of neuroscience and brain development illustrates the importance of the need for babies and parents to feel nurtured and supported during this very special time.
Big Steps Little Feet has been born out of my desire to work independently and apply my vast knowledge and skills. I aim to provide a holistic, supportive and nurturing service for parents/ carers and families individually in a world, which can be fast paced and confusing. The journey into parenthood starts with the confirmation of pregnancy and progresses through the ever-evolving changes it brings to a mother, a father, a couple and a family. The birth of a baby evolves into the emergence of a family unit. There are many roads to navigate along the way!
I am proud to support families and parents regardless of gender, orientation, family structure. Every parent wants to be connected and conscious – to do the very best that they can to support the health well being and happiness of their baby and family. Not always easy in a busy, information overload society – where we can connect with people, resources and information super quick and at the same time feel isolated, scared and disconnected.
The services I provided by Big Steps Little Feet are about creating a safe space to connect with whats important for your role as parent – with knowledge compassion and realism. With all my heart I offer workshops and 1:1 support. I share my evidence based knowledge and 25 years of experience in nursing and parenthood within the different services offered. I am equally passionate about optimising your babies experiences from the womb to toddlerhood. Our babies come to us with their journey and experiences, all starting in the womb. Knowledge is power and with the right support and information your transition into parenthood can be one that is supported and nurturing or it can be one where you ‘find your way’. You can only know what you know…. The choice is all yours. Ultimately this is a journey to be cherished and enjoyed with all of your heart and soul. Whatever your choices I wish you all the very best in your journey.
“Helping you with the transition into parenthood”.
I am delighted to work alongside my colleague and friend Sarah March, Independent Midwife, Lactation Consultant and Tongue Tie Specialist. We look forward to facilitating our Complete Birth and Baby Preparation weekend course in July 2017. For more information about Sarah please visit her website here http://www.lotusmidwife.co.uk/about-us
What qualifies me to do this?
- Registered General Nurse – An Bord Altranais 1995 (Ireland)
- Registered with Nursing Midwifery council UK since 1995
- Health visitor Berkshire NHS foundation Trust (2003 – 2014).
- BSc (Hons) in Specialist Community Public Health Nursing (2008).
- Qualified Family Nurse with Family Nurse Partnership Programme to young parents having their first baby from early pregnancy until the baby turned 2 years (2012).
- VCTC Holistic Therapies Diploma – Aromatherapy, Reflexology and Body Massage (2000).
- Facilitator of Family Links Nurturing parenting programme (2005/6).
- Developed and Facilitated Health visiting surgeries across Slough Children’s Centres (Example of good practice DH 2011).
- Trained in Psychology of Compassionate mind therapeutic support (2013).
- Trained Active Birth teacher with Janet Balaskas, active Birth Centre in London (2015)
- Trained Doula with Paramana Doula – Dr Michel Odent and Lilliana Lammers (2016)
- Established links with Local Authorities / GP surgeries / Health Care Trusts.
- Enhanced Disclosure Barring certificate (DBS).
- Member of the Royal College of Nurses (RCN) – Fully Insured.
- Member of FEDANT – Federation of Antenatal Teachers – Fully Insured.
- Member of Parenting UK
- Member of the Association for Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology And Health (APPPAH)
- Qualified Japanese USUI Reiki Practitioner Level 1 and 2 – Roy Sunley Master teacher (2017)
- Training as a Kundalini yoga teacher for pregnancy – The mothers Journey – (2017) Carolyn Cowan
Member of Nursing Midwifery Council
Insurance with: Royal College of Nursing